The past year we have received several support requests that we found out were related to/caused by bugs in Excel 2016/365.
This article show information on how to update your Excel installation and also links to the Microsoft articles with all the detailed information about what has been fixed and improved by the Excel team.
How an error or crash in Excel may appear to be caused by ASAP Utilities, but is not
Since many users don't use macros themselves, they may only experience such specific Excel bugs (slow speed/crashes) when they use an add-in, such as for example ASAP Utilities, that uses Excel's built-in VBA/macro programming language for its tools and it then seems as if the add-in is faulty. In general, if something goes wrong in ASAP Utilities, you should get a polite error message. It should never make Excel crash.
Most of the times updating Excel will solve it already. If a fix isn't available yet from Microsoft, then we try to create a workaround in ASAP Utilities to handle such Excel bugs, because we do not always know how long it will take the Excel team to fix it.
Fortunately Microsoft has already released many updates with fixes related to the performance and stability of Excel 2016/365.
How to install Excel/Office updates
- Start Excel.
- Go to File > Account
- Under Product Information, choose Update Options > Update Now.
List of the latest Office Updates
Information on (only) the last Office Updates from Microsoft for Office 2016, Office 2013, Office 2010 and Office 2007 can be found here:
Office 365 client update channel releases
On the following page you can see the most recent changes the the Office 365 products. It shows even the recent ones that don't have their own update article yet on the Microsoft Support website. You can choose to only see the updates that impact Excel.
Issues in Excel that Microsoft is aware of - with status updates
Known issues and possible fixes or workarounds from Microsoft Office Support is listed here:
Excel 2016 Update History
Because there doesn't seem to be a simple page where you can see all the updates/fixes related to Excel, we've created a list with the links to the official articles from Microsoft here.
Several of the fixes from Microsoft were related to the performance and/or crashes of Excel.
- Description of the security update for Excel 2016: May 8, 2018
When you try to print Excel 2016 documents and scroll by using the mouse wheel after the printer driver dialog box appears, Excel crashes.
- Description of the security update for Excel 2016: April 10, 2018
When you open a worksheet that contains an external reference that includes metadata, for example a rich data type value in Microsoft Excel 2016, Excel crashes.
- March 13, 2018, update for Office 2016 (KB4011727)
- February 6, 2018, update for Excel 2016 (KB4011684)
- January 9, 2018, Update for Excel 2016 (KB4011627)
You may experience intermittent crashes in Excel during background error checking after you copy sheets between workbooks.
- January 2, 2018 - Version 1711 (Build 8730.2165)
Fix an issue where the programmatic creation of a PivotTable followed by a programmatic refresh causes Excel to crash.
Fix an issue where programmatically calling Workbook.Open() may cause Excel to crash.
- December 5, 2017, update for Excel 2016 (KB4011577)
- November 27, 2017, Excel version 1710 (Build 8625.2139)
Fix an issue where the user incorrectly sees a "catastrophic failure" error message when opening an Office 2007 or older workbook (.xls or .xla) with macros.
- Description of the security update for Excel 2016: November 14, 2017
- October 3, 2017, update for Excel 2016 (KB4011166)
- October 3, 2017, update for Office 2016 (KB4011135)
- September 12, 2017, update for Excel 2016 (KB4011165)
- Description of the security update for Excel 2016: September 12, 2017
- August 8, 2017, update for Excel 2016 (KB3085435)
- Description of the security update for Excel 2016: July 11, 2017
- June 6, 2017, update for Excel 2016 (KB3191922)
- May 2, 2017, update for Excel 2016 (KB3191861)
- April 4, 2017, update for Excel 2016 (KB3178719)
- MS17-014: Description of the security update for Excel 2016: March 14, 2017
- February 7, 2017, update for Office 2016 (KB3141508)
You may experience unexpected issues in Excel 2016 that has multiple third-party add-ins loaded. For example, you may be unable to save a workbook to a mapped network drive.
- January 3, 2017, update for Excel 2016 (KB3141472)
- MS16-148: Description of the security update for Excel 2016: December 13, 2016
- MS16-133: Description of the security update for Excel 2016: November 8, 2016
- October 4, 2016, update for Excel 2016 (KB3118373)
- MS16-107: Description of the security update for Excel 2016: September 13, 2016
- September 6, 2016, update for Office 2016 (KB3115495)
- August 9, 2016, update for Excel 2016 (KB3115438)
- August 2, 2016, update for Office 2016 (KB3115270)
- Excel workbooks may not open after MS16-088 is installed
- MS16-088: Description of the security update for Excel 2016: July 12, 2016
- July 5, 2016, update for Office 2016 (KB3115266)
- June 7, 2016, update for Excel 2016 (KB3115139)
- May 3, 2016, update for Excel 2016 (KB3115090)
- MS16-042: Description of the security update for Excel 2016: April 12, 2016
- April 5, 2016, update for Office 2016 (KB3114958)
- March 8, 2016, update for Excel 2016 (KB3114848)
- MS16-015: Description of the security update for Excel 2016: February 9, 2016
- February 9, 2016, update for Office 2016 (KB3114706)
- MS16-004: Description of the security update for Excel 2016: January 12, 2016
- January 12, 2016, update for Office 2016 (KB3114531)
- December 8, 2015, update for Excel 2016 (KB3114374)
Microsoft Office Update History
General MS Office update information for Office 2016, Office 2013, Office 2010 and Office 2007:
- May 2018 updates for Microsoft Office
- April 2018, updates for Microsoft Office
- March 2018, updates for Microsoft Office
- February, 2017, update for Microsoft Office
- January 2018 updates for Microsoft Office
- December 2017 updates for Microsoft Office
- November 2017 updates for Microsoft Office
- October 2017, updates for Microsoft Office
- September 2017, updates for Microsoft Office
- August 2017, updates for Microsoft Office
- July 2017, updates for Microsoft Office
- June 13, 2017, update for Microsoft Office
- May 9, 2017, update for Microsoft Office
- April 11, 2017, update for Microsoft Office
- March 14, 2017, update for Microsoft Office
- February, 2017, update for Microsoft Office
- January 10, 2017, update for Microsoft Office
- December 13, 2016, update for Microsoft Office
- November 8, 2016, update for Microsoft Office
- October 11, 2016, update for Microsoft Office
- September 13, 2016, update for Microsoft Office
- August 9, 2016, update for Office
- July 12, 2016, update for Office
- June 14, 2016, update for Office
- May 10, 2016, update for Office
- April 12, 2016, update for Office
- March 8, 2016, update for Office
- February 9, 2016, update for Office
- January 12, 2016, update for Office
- December 8, 2015, update for Office